Spoilers for all ten films! Overall, I had fun watching the ten Friday the 13th/Jason movies, but these films do not lend themselves to binge watching. The basic three act structure of (most of) these films grew to be monotonous. I’m envious of the people who watched these films as they were released, like they were intended.
The First two films, and the 6th, were easily my favorites, 3 & 4 are worthwhile watches with inventive moments. Although, Besides a couple moments in the 7th film, the rest of the series is not that great.
I think the creators had a difficult time with Jason, Unlike Freddy from the Nightmare franchise, there are is only so much you can do with Jason, a Mute, hulking man. In two of the films Jason isn’t even the killer, in another he’s a body switching slug entity, halfway through the series they zombify him, and in the tenth film they take him to space.
They also rushed these films to the screen, 8 movies in 9 years, that’s almost unheard of today. Actors, Directors, Writers and producers seemed to jump ship after one film. Another factor that took away from most of the sequels were the lack of gore and blood, which was so prevalent in the first film. The practical effects used throughout the series are great, the stories about the creation of these effects and how they achieved them are fun to read.
As I watched the Films, I took notes, below are my unedited notes as I watched the series for the first time.
Not including the reboot or Freddy Vs. Jason (which I will watch once I’m done the Nightmare franchise.)
If your looking for how I’d rank the series you can find that here!
Friday the 13th (1980)
- Definitely a creepy film, the POV shots from the “killer” are campy, the acting is pretty bad, really my only complaints though.
- The practical effects are good for 1980
- The most interesting thing is that the kids are picked off one by one and no one really notices until the last half hour of the film, but the way the script works it makes sense that the characters wouldn’t notice the missing campers.
- The killer was really smart honestly, and put in a lot of work, the clumsiness portrayed by Mrs. Vorhees in the final act is not reminiscent of her earlier cunningness
- Love the gore
- They sadly Killed an actual snake for this film
- Holds up, a bit outdated, but not bad for almost 40 years old!
Friday the 13th part 2 (1981)
- Great opening
- The addition of many characters makes most of them blend into the background, no real standout after forty minutes
- Definitely a creepy and tense movie
- Jason may not be as smart as his mother
- I love how he has a huge selection of weapons, pick axe, machete, spear
- Ginny is an odd hero, she makes smart moves followed by dumb moves. She’s not entirely smart or dumb, but an interesting & Intriguing final girl
Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982)
- shelly Is an annoying character
- The first half hour is boring with no conflict and nothing very scary.
- Not a compelling character in sight
- Bad acting
- Jason’s suddenly left camp Crystal Lake and then comes back?
- Who is Chris Higgins? Are we supposed to know herfrom a past movie?
- I do like Chris Higgins as the final girl here, she’s smarter than some, although her story and character isn’t as well developed
- Watching these movies back to back really tires you out of this basic three act structure Jason is able to kill all these other characters with ease, but that final girl is just too difficult I guess
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
- I guess I’m a little confused by the cops roles in all of this, thirty odd kids have been murdered by now and they haven’t been scouring the woods for a killer until now? (Edit: Come to find out that the films from 2 to 4 take place over a short time period
- The problem with these movies is the character development is boring. We don’t need to see horny teens running around for forty minutes of screen time before anything happens.
- Four is a bit of a bore. It’s sad to think they had originally planned for this to be “the final chapter”
- Some great deaths
- Trish isn’t a great final girl at all
- Where is the Jarvis mother and dog? No death scene for them?
- Tommy is a great “final girl”, a great character and interesting character and a good ending
Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)
- Boring, too many characters
- Bad acting
- They’ve tried for a different story here, but it’s poorly written and directed
- Very hokey and silly
- What a bore jeez
- Annoying AF final girl
- Decent ending , twist and tinal ending
Friday the 13th Part 6: Jason Lives (1986)
- I love the opening of this movie
- I love Jason’s strength and zombie like abilities,
- First movie with a sense of humor, laughed when Jason accidentally ripped a guy’s arm off and just looked at it
- Jason’s smarter and I like it
- So Jason won’t kill a kid? Interesting
- I dislike the guy playing Tommy
- And Megan is annoying
- I feel like these movies think they need to kill the bad guy, if you want to make a sequel, just leave him alive somehow. Have him kill everyone involved, we don’t need a final survivor!
Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood (1988)
- Interesting at first but then goes the Same predictable route
- Lack of gore for an r rating
- It has a very tiny bit of originality
- Sadly the lack of believable blood and gore makes this a sad entry
- It’s basically Carrie vs Jason
- Good end, Jason’s zombie makeup is good
- Kane Hodder is an undeniable on screen presence, finally an actor takes on Jason who seems to actually care about the role and his stunt work and back story seem to confirm this
Friday the 13th Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)
- It’s a welcome change, seeing as the producers can’t conjure a completely compelling story surrounding Crystal Lake
- The character of Charles is unlike any person living. A cliché for sure.
- It just doesn’t feel like a fully realized story, with glaring plot holes.
- The fight between Julius and Jason is fun actually
- How did the ship take off from Crystal Lake and end up in New York.
- How does Jason get from the boat to New York?
- How does Jason find the characters in New York so easily?
- The teacher just couldn’t get out of the burning police car? Wtf.
- So Jason inexplicably reverts back to a 10 year old kid and they just leave him?
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993)
- … How did we get here and why is Jason making noise? He never makes noises
- The opening of this movie makes me dislike 8 even more, because there’s no connection between 8 to 9
- Always a dog in these movies….
- This is a little too out there and a wild departure for this series
- Again, we’re an hour into this and Jason had like no screen time
- Some definite entertaining moments, the body melting scene was great
- So weird
- I’m honestly rooting for “Jason” to get out of this body
- This is what happens when you force creative people to rush
Jason X (2001)
- I don’t understand why they’d ever take the movies down this road? Why….
- Jason looks are different
- Cool death with the girls frozen face
- The android girl is cool
- All these shots and no one shoots Jason in the head
- Definitely kinda cool, but sadly almost boring, characters are boring too
- Uber Jason lol
- Lame ending
- It’s really any scifi movie but with Jason in it
Thanks for Reading!
Find Mitch on Twitter @mitchydaily
Like The Hollywood Persona on Facebook