Best Character in a Movie
- Imperator Furiosa (Charlize Theron) – Mad Max: Fury Road
- Ava (Alicia Vikander) – Ex Machina
- Rey (Daisy Ridley) – Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Chicory (Richard Jenkins) – Bone Tomahawk
- Tracy (Lola Kirke) – Mistress America
- Nux (Nicholas Holt)– Mad Max: Fury Road
- Jack (Jacob Tremblay) – Room
- Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio) – The Revenant
- Major Marquis Warren (Samuel L. Jackson) – The Hateful Eight
- David Foster Wallace (Jason Segel) – The End of the Tour
Imperator Furiosa, who else! Not only did she completely steal the spotlight from the main character, who the film was named for, she kicked ass, with one arm and can drive like a champ.
I don’t know if it’s upsetting that the number two spot is taken by a slightly sadistic A.I. or not. I’m also not sure if it’s because myself and the entire world is stricken by the lovely Alicia Vikander.
Rey is a character that will carry the new Star Wars franchise far, Chicory is easily one of the best and most earnest sidekicks in years, and Tracy/Lola Kirke is funny and lovely and lovely…
Honorable Mentions: Cam Stuart – Infinitely Polar Bear, Ma – Room, Ice Cube – Straight Outta Compton, Dr. Dre – Straight Outta Compton, Ellis – Brooklyn, Joanna Hoffman – Steve Jobs, Rudolf Abel – Bridge of Spies
Worst Character in a Movie
- Ninja & Yolandi – Chappie
- Alissa (Alisson Brie) – Get Hard
- Gretchen Palmer (Kaley Cuoco) – The Wedding Ringer
- Aaron (Patrick Brice) – Creep
- Daniella Riva (Sofia Vergara) – Hot Pursuit
- The entire cast of Unfriended
- Jason (Adam DeVine), Matt (Anders Holm), & Davis (Zach Pearlman) – The Intern
- Anastasia Steele (Dakota Johnson) & Christian Grey (Jamie Dornan) – 50 Shades of Grey
- David Lipsky (Jesse Eisenberg) – The End of the Tour
- Alejandro (Ariel Levy) – The Green Inferno
- Rich Purnell (Donald Glover) – The Martian
Ninja & Yolandi, they’re dumb, there motivations are whack, and they dress like 14 year olds. If you weren’t annoyed with them, I don’t think we could get along.
You may not remember Alissa, Alisson Brie’s character from Get Hard, but in my opinion her character was one of the more atrocious portrayals of a woman onscreen in a while… wait, and number 3, and number 5…. I completely understand why women are vying for better roles.
Honorable Mentions: Master Gregory (Jeff Bridges) – Seventh Son, Denise (Molly Shannon) – Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, Edward (James Fraser) – The Water Diviner, Sam Smiegel (Adeel Akhtar) – Pan
Bonus: The Volcanos in Lava (Short film before “Up”)
Stay tuned for a bunch of content the month of February!
Thanks for Reading!
Follow the official The Hollywood Persona Twitter page @THPersona
Find Mitch on Twitter @mitchydaily
Like The Hollywood Persona on Facebook